- Bord Pleanála decides appeals against decisions of planning authorities on applications for planning permission. It also assesses major infrastructural projects and developments by local authorities and public bodies.
- The Environmental Protection Agency has a wide range of functions in protecting the environment. It has roles in relation to licensing, enforcement, guidance and monitoring. It grants integrated pollution control licenses.
- The Private Residential Tenancies Board was established under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004, It determines disputes between landlords and tenants in the private residential sector. It operates the tenancy register and provides policy information and advice on the sector.
- The Radiological Protection Society of Ireland regulates and licenses the use, manufacture, importation, transportation and disposal of radioactive substances.
- The Valuation Tribunal was established under the Valuation Act 1988.
- The Building Regulations Advisory Board was established under the Building Control Act 1991.
- The Commissioner for the Office of Environmental Information was established S.I. 133 of 2007.
- The Environmental Research Unit was established under S.I. 20/1988 and was replaced by the Environmental Protection Agency in 1994.
- The Local Appointments Commission was established under the Local Authorities (Appointments) Act 1926. In 2004, Civil Service Commissioners and Local Appointment Commissioners were dissolved in substituted by the Commission for Public Service Appointments.
- The Local Supplies Advisory Committee was established under the Local Authorities (Combined Supplies) Act 1925 and it was abolished in 1994.
- The National Traveller Accommodation Consultative Committee was established under the Housing Act 1988.
- The Place Names Commission was established in 1946 under the Local Government Act 1946
- The Referendum Commission was established in March 1998
- The Water Pollution Advisory Council was established in 1977 under the Local Government Water Pollution Act and was replaced and continued until The 1990 Act.
- The Wildlife Advisory Council commenced in 1977 under the Wildlife Act and merged into the Heritage Council in 1995.
- The Affordable Homes Partnership commenced in 2005 S.I. 383-2005
- The Environmental Protection Agency was created under the Environmental Protection Agency Act 1992 in 1993.
- The Fire Prevention Council was created in 1978 S.I.206/1978. In 1987 it merged together with the Irish Water Safety Council to form the National Safety Council.
- The Fire Services Council commenced in 1983.
- The Heritage Council was established under the Heritage Act 1995.
- The Library Council was established in 1948 and is in existence under Public Libraries Act 1940?
- The Local Government Computer Services Board was established in 1975 under S.I.212 1975
- The Local Government and Management Services Board was established under statutory instrument 410/1996 in 1997.
- The Housing Finance Agency was established under Housing Finance Agency Act 1981
- The National Building Advisory Council was established in 1963 and absorbed into Foras Forbatha in 1969.
- Repak Limited was established in 1996 under the Waste Management Act
- The Centre for Housing Research was established in 2006. It was administered by the IPA.
- The Environmental Awareness Bureau was in existence from February 1985 to April 1988.
- The Environmental Information Service was in existence from 1992 to 2009.
- The Housing and Sustainable Communities Agency was established in 2010 to take over the functions of the Affordable Homes Partnership and Centre for Housing Research, the Homeless Agency and the National Building Agency.
- The Irish Water Safety Association was established in 1971 and established on a statutory basis in 1980. It merged with a number of other councils to form the National Safety Council in 1987.
- The Management Development Council was established in 2007.
- The National Building Advisory Council was established in 1963 and absorbed into first Foras Forbatha in 1969.
- The Department of Local Government and Public Health was established in 1924. Health and welfare functions were transferred to the new Department of Health in 1947. The Department of Local Government continued from 1947 to 1977 when it was renamed the Department of the Environment.
- It became the Department of Environment and Local Government in 1997 changing to the Department of the Environment Heritage and Local Government in 2003.
- The Discovery Program Limited was established as a company in 1991 and is funded by the Heritage Council.
- Irish Public Bodies Mutual Insurances Limited was established under the Local Authorities Mutual Assurance Act 1926.
- The National Building Agency Limited was established under the National Building Agency Limited Act in 1963.
- The Valuation Office was established in 1852 and was continued by the Valuation Act 2001.
Important Notice! This website is provided for informational purposes only! It is a fundamental condition of the use of this website that no liability is accepted for any loss or damage caused by reason of any error, omission, or misstatement in its contents.
Draft Articles; The articles on this website are in draft form and are subject to further review for typographical errors and, in some cases, updating and correction. It is intended to include references to the sources of materials and acknowledgements in the final version. The content of articles with [EU] in the title and some of the articles in the section on Agriculture are a reproduction of or are based on European or Irish public sector information.